Monday, July 6, 2020

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "BUG"




Welcome! This week the word prompt is "bug."  We have the beginning of a new story. One a little more cheerful than the last. The title is "Some Kind of Wonderful." Yes, after the song of the same name. We go back to little Pine Grove for this one. Scroll down to return to the great stories on Tuesday Tales. Thanks for stopping by. 

***********************************

Pine Grove, NY
As he pulled away from the stoplight on Main Street, a car in the opposite lane honked at him, repeatedly. An attractive woman with short dark hair and eyes the size of dark chocolate truffles, rolled down her window.
“Excuse me. Excuse me!” Her eyebrows came together.
Jeff hit the brakes. “What?”
“Can you tell me where Maple Street is?”
“Sure. Turn around. Go for three lights…” but the honking of a car behind him shut Jeff up. With a frown he motioned. “Pull over.”
Jeff steered onto the shoulder. The woman in the spunky red car waited for two cars to pass, then did a u-turn, parked behind him, and got out.
“Where are you going?”
“I’m looking for the Andrews house. Grey Andrews? Know him?”
“Of course. He’s our Town Supervisor. He’s got a big Victorian on Maple. Go this way down Main for three lights. Turn left, then make the first right. He’s about three houses down.” Jeff gestured as he spoke.
“Great. Thanks. My GPS stopped working.”
“Yeah. If you don’t have Internet or the right service, you phone will die in Pine Grove.”
“Swell.” She checked her watch. “Is there some place to eat around here?”
 “There’s Homer’s, right near the lake.”
“A lake?”
“Yeah. Cedar Lake. It’s beautiful. I’m going there to meet my mom. Why don’t you follow me?”
“Thanks. I appreciate it.”
“I’m Jeff Barrett, by the way.” He offered his hand.
“I’m Jackie Stone.” She took it.
Jeff got in his car and took a long look at her in the rearview mirror. About five foot six, slender, but wow, yeah, where she curved, she curved nicely. His phone dinged. It was Susan.

     Sorry to miss your dad’s funeral. Can’t get Monday off. Love, Susan

He jammed his phone in his pocket. Love? Really? Her text bugged him. He frowned and turned the ignition. Grumbling to himself, he pulled out onto Main Street. Jackie did the same.
What was a pretty girl like her doing going to the Andrews’ house? Grey was married to a smokin’ hot woman and had two kids. He glanced down at the dashboard. One fifteen, his mom would already be at the restaurant and not happy with his being late. At least he had a good excuse –being a good “neighbor” to a stranger to Pine Grove.
He opened the door and followed her inside. 
“My mom’s already here. She’s got a table for four. Why don’t you join us?”
“Oh, really, I couldn’t barge in. You’re having lunch with your mother?” She raised her eyebrows.
A dozen explanations crowded his tongue. “I’m here for my father’s funeral on Monday.”

6 comments:

  1. Lovely beginning! The cell service in Pine Grove sounds like the cell service in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Sad reason to be in town though. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job with their meeting. This will be an interesting story and I am looking forward to more! Love this line-- A dozen explanations crowded his tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I love that you named the restaurant Homer's. I love this beginning - and their meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jillian on the restaurant name! So awesome! I am dying to know more about the relationship he has with parents and the woman texting. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Jillian on the restaurant name! So awesome! I am dying to know more about the relationship he has with parents and the woman texting. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete