Monday, November 4, 2019

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "HOWL" - ANOTHER EPISODE OF THE HOUSE-SITTER'S COUNTRY CHRISTMAS!





Welcome to Tuesday Tales. This week the word prompt is "howl." Again we have more of "The House-Sitter's Country Christmas." 
Scroll down to return to Tuesday Tales. Thanks for stopping by.


*********************************

West 81st Street, New York City
Craig stood at the front window, coffee cup in hand. George sat on the sofa behind him.
“We’re going to Pine Grove for Christmas,” George said.
“Nope. Don’t think so.” Craig shook his head once.
“Why?”
“Because it’s going to be freezing. I’ll have to wear long underwear. I’m not doing it.”
“Even for the woman you profess to love?” George cocked an eyebrow.
Craig turned to face him. “It’s not about her. But why can’t she come here?”
“You whine like a spoiled child.” George put down his tea cup.
“It’s a good thing I need you. People get fired for talking to their bosses like that.”
“Go ahead, fire me. Howl bloody murder. Whine, complain and throw a tantrum. It falls on deaf ears.” George pushed to his feet.
“Don’t go.” Craig reached out to grip George’s coat sleeve.
“Why should I stay and watch this, this disgrace. You have the loveliest woman in the world in love with you. And you don’t deserve her. Not for one second.” George ripped his sleeve away.
“You jealous?”
George puffed himself up. “I’ve already had the most wonderful woman in the world as my wife. You’re the one who should be jealous of me. Although she’s no longer here, I have the most exquisite memories.  You can’t imagine.”
“You’re right. I’ve always envied you.”
“Then get yourself together. Buy long johns and start packing.”
Craig sighed. “But…”
“I’m done here.” George left the room.
Craig sighed. George was right. He was always right. Craig knew he had to go, but could he put on a happy face when he was miserable, shaking with the cold, putting up with the hick town holiday routines as hokey as his uncle’s? This might be his biggest challenge.
“George!” Craig called to his assistant. “Where the hell do I find long johns?” 


BACK TO TUESDAY TALES

MY WEBSITE

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful snippet! Can't wait to see what takes place next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds very interesting. This snippet makes you wonder how hes going do lol . A man in long johns hummmmm going to be interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that last line! I am very glad he is conceding. I hope he has a much better time than he thinks he will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The interplay between them is intriguing. I look forward to seeing what happens. Love this line-- “Where the hell do I find long johns?”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love their conversation and how they relate to each other- not afraid to be outspoken- so many times, people hold in their feelings- I like the way they go at it. AND the long johns part was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for George! I want to give the man a high-five. I'm glad that Craig is relenting, albeit very reluctantly. Should make for an interesting holiday. I can't wait to read more

    ReplyDelete