Monday, April 8, 2019

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "TAX" - Discover a NEW story--- Urban Fantasy/YA


MIDNIGHT IN CENTRAL PARK



Welcome! This week we start a brand new story -- an urban fantasy/ya story --Midnight in Central Park. Yep, stretching my wings, soaring someplace I've never been before. And it's in first person, too. I hope you enjoy it. Feedback and comments are most welcome. 


******************************************

   Oh, God. That fucking alarm. I cracked open an eye to stare at the asshole clock which had the smiling face of Cookie Monster. It said, “I want cookie.” Ugh. It was already six. I pushed up out of bed. I needed to get to school at seven for the free breakfast. It’s a long time 'til lunch.


   Mom was passed out on the couch, so I got dibs on the bathroom. Staring into the mirror, I examined my face for the millionth time. A few hairs here and there. But nope. No razor needed –yet. I was thirteen, but dad started shaving at twelve, or so he said. Probably just another one of his lies.

   Jamie was a stupid name for a boy. Mom named me after my father, whose name is James. He took off when I was seven. So who wanted to be named after him anyway? I needed a new name. I put it on a mental list of things that need changing, along with the rest of my life.

   I headed out the door by six thirty, running for the subway. I lived in the projects in an apartment Mom and I shared with mice and roaches. I couldn't wait to get out of there for the day, even if it was for school. I had to run to make my train, but I got there with two seconds to spare. Someday I’ll hop a taxi and give the driver a twenty-dollar tip. Yeah, when pigs fly.

   In the food line, Mrs. Hernandez gave me a warm smile. “Jamie, we have extra food today. Come by after school,” she whispered. She isn’t supposed to slip me food, but she did. No questions asked. It’s good to have friends. She gave me a double portion of hot cereal. Not my favorite, but you eat what's there.


   “Hey,” said Taylor as he swung into the seat next to me. Abby joined us. They were my best friends. The bell rang and a grueling day began. Listening to stupid people who couldn’t get a decent job drone on about something I don’t give a shit about made me restless.

   All I wanted was to get out and get to Central Park. That’s my real home.

Thanks for stopping by.
Back to Tuesday Tales HERE
My website

4 comments:

  1. I'm drawn right in to caring about him. Gritty and still with a sense of the openness of youth. Very well done and congrats on bravely venturing to a new genre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! It's a gritty excerpt that feels quite true to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! I can’t wait to see where it goes. You sucked me right in from the start!

    ReplyDelete